Expert Knowledge. Decisive Action.

Your Path To Recovery After Your Injury

If you have suffered an injury because of some else’s negligence, you may be angry and frustrated because the incident could have been prevented. Unfortunately, you are the one suffering the consequences. Your only concern should be recovering from your injuries without the legal worries. That is where we come in.

At Burns & Associates, PLLC, our attorneys have over 35 years of combined legal experience and are ready to help guide you through the complex process of a personal injury claim. We will be by your side every step of the way to help you understand the process, explain your options, fight for the money you need to cover all costs associated with your injuries and help you determine the best course of action moving forward.

Understanding The Parties Involved

Nearly all personal injury cases involve a claim against the negligent party’s insurance company. With motor vehicle crashes, this would be the other driver’s insurance company. If the other vehicle was a commercial truck, it could involve multiple parties, such as the driver’s employer or the company that loaded the truck. When it comes to premises liability claims, on the other hand, your claim will likely be against the property owner’s insurance company.

What Are The Damages You May Receive?

Personal injury cases involve two types of damages. The first is compensatory, which allows for reimbursement of actual losses. The second is punitive damages, which are designed to punish the defendant in extreme situations or where the actions were intentional. Punitive damages are rarely granted in Mississippi, but compensatory damages might involve the following:

  • Personal property
  • Medical bills and expenses
  • Lost wages, including vacation and sick days
  • Diminished earning ability
  • Pain and suffering, including disfigurement
  • Mental anguish, including loss of consortium

These damages also cover future losses. We will help you understand the types of damages available in your case to ensure you recover what you are entitled to.

Managing Catastrophic Injuries

Whether your injuries are from a car wreck, a slip-and-fall accident or some other accident, your injuries could be severe enough to impact you and your family for years to come. Some of the catastrophic injuries that are common to personal injury cases include:

  • Traumatic brain injury (TBI) – Any head injury has the potential to be serious. The more severe the injury, the more likely the victim will suffer long-lasting or permanent mental or neurological problems.
  • Spinal cord injury – Many people suffer from muscle-related back injuries in an accident, but some suffer from more serious damage to their spinal cords. These can cause a wide range of problems, from limited movement to paralysis.
  • Fractures – A serious fracture can limit one’s ability to work and may result in a permanent limitation for that bone.
  • Amputations – If limbs are too severely damaged in a crash to rehabilitate, they may need to be amputated.
  • Permanent injuries and loss of senses – Some injuries can cause blindness or a loss of hearing.
  • Burns – Severe burns are painful and can cause permanent scarring or disfigurement.

Some of these injuries are permanent and will require ongoing medical care for life. Others may require months or years of treatment and therapy. These injuries may interfere with your ability to go back to work and provide for your family.

The more serious your injuries, the more damages you may be entitled to, but these cases take time and patience to build properly. We want to be sure you receive the full amount of compensation available to you, which can only be done when we have a full picture of your medical needs. Our dedicated team will work tirelessly to fight for you and your family.

Schedule Your Free Consultation

If you are ready to start your personal injury case, schedule your free initial consultation with one of our lawyers. You can call our Jackson office at 601-500-7021 or call toll-free at 601-500-7021. You can also send us an online message.