Expert Knowledge. Decisive Action.

How to handle a premises liability claim

On Behalf of | Sep 1, 2022 | Premises Liability

You may experience a variety of injuries in an accident that takes place at a Mississippi mall, grocery store or apartment complex. It’s possible that these injuries may make it impossible to work, go to school or otherwise retain the quality of life that you had prior to that accident. Fortunately, you may be entitled to compensation to make up for lost wages, medical bills or other financial losses.

Seek treatment immediately

The first thing that you want to do after a slip, trip or fall is to seek treatment for a twisted ankle, broken bone or concussion. Doing so may make it possible to get an accurate diagnosis while your injuries are relatively easy to treat. If you let a broken bone or internal injury linger, you may need to have surgery to repair the issue as opposed to getting a splint or avoiding strenuous activity while your organs heal.

Report the incident

Ideally, you’ll report the incident to whoever owns the property where you were hurt. If you were hurt at a residence owned by a friend, family member or colleague, you should obtain their homeowner’s insurance information. If you decide to take legal action, it may be necessary to file a claim against the defendant’s policy. You should also let your own medical insurance company know the circumstances surrounding your injuries.

Stick to your treatment plan

It’s important that you don’t ignore any limitations that your doctors place on you. For example, your physician may ask you to refrain from lifting more than 10 pounds or to refrain from standing or walking for more than a few minutes at a time. Ignoring these orders could make it harder to recover from your injuries, and it could make it harder to obtain a favorable outcome in your premises liability case.

If you are hurt on someone else’s property, it’s important to take action as quickly as possible. You’ll generally have three years from the date of your accident to file a lawsuit against those who created the conditions that caused your injuries.